Sorry about letting this get away from me!
About the time 'Valkyrie' got her new clothes, Cathy's dad's care giver
had to leave for a while. We moved to Erath and I did some driving back
and forth between Erath and Slidell. Things looked like indefinite
long term so I single-handed to Cypremort Point, arriving Sept. 19..
Fast forward to Jan 10th and the care giver returned and we moved back
home, aboard 'Valkyrie'. The problem is no live-aboards are allowed at
the Point (never can understand that). We planned on moving to the
Delcambre free dock, alongside our friend Sterling aboard 'We Don't
Neaux'. But... There's no electricity, water, or even trash disposel.
It hit us that if we're going to have to use propane heat and haul
water (can't run the watermaker in that dirty canal), we might as well
spend the time getting to warm, clear water.
So we're getting everything together and plan on setting sail as soon
after Feb. 1st as weather permits. Sterling is heading out as well. We
plan on taking the Gulf of Mexico route and Sterling will go inside in
the ICW and we'll meet at Dauphin Island, AL. His vessel is a 41-foot
trimaran so that makes sense. Multihulls tend to pound and bounce
around a lot and chances are we're going to run into rough weather this
time of year. We decided to sail and save fuel, and since we have to go
offshore from Pensacola, FL to Port St. Joe, FL anyway due to low
bridges, it doesn't make much difference. There are 50-foot (more like
47-foot) bridges between the two and we need 52-feet.
We plan on stopping for an indefinite time at Juan and Liz's house in
Cape Coral, FL. The house is on a canal and has dock space. Remember
Juan? He's the one we bought 'Valkyrie' from and I've been helping him
with his boat, 'Nirvana'. It's currently at the Port of Iberia but will
be moved to Cape Coral in March or April.
Things are open after that. Depending on time of year (hurricane
season) we'll either hit the Caribbean or head North to maybe the Chesapeake Bay. Not set plans.
We just be cruisin'!